can't build um architecture linux image on lenny

I've been using user-mode-linux (UML) since 3 years ago. I enjoyed its costumizable guest kernel until last week when I realize that building custom guest kernel on previous kernels version (I've tried 2.6.18 and 1.6.22) is no longer available due errors while compiling the kernel. The errors occured when I was building these kernels on lenny environment but there is no error when I used etch. Does anyone can explain to me why...??

thanks in advance