Re: working with svn copy on two machines

H.S. wrote:

> The
> rsync command I use at home is this:
> $> rsync  -auCvze ssh  ./ labmachine:~/project/

I use
$ rsync -avzp source destination

> However, this way I cannot give svn commands at my home machine. It
> would be nice to do so though. Basically, only my lab machine is the
> working copy in this situation.

If you synchronize the .svn directories, then I think you can run svn
commands from the home machine as well.

> I tried checking out a working copy at both the machines. But if I use
> rsync after that to sync my changes between the two machines before I am
> in a position to commit, rsync wants to copy over many files, including
> the ones I have not modified at all.

rsync looks at the time stamps. But transfers only the changes between the
files. So, you might not be transferring much data across the network.

> I am trying to see if there is a way such that I can use both my lab
> machine and home machine copies of the source code as working copies.
> The way I understand is that when I am in the middle of some change, I
> will have to commit back from home or lab in that unfinished state,
> update my copy at home or lab and then continue working. Is this what is
> commonly done in such situations?

You can also take a look at sshfs. Using this you can mount your lab
machines' directory on your home machine. After that you can use the
mounted directory as if it is a local directory. Everything is done over
ssh. You do not need any special permissions on the lab machine. All you
need is root access on your home machine (to setup the sshfs), ssh access
to your lab machine.

> Or perhaps there is way to rsync between two working copies while I am
> working on an unfinished change?

In my case, I have the same username on all of my machines. I do not know if
it matters (like... Does rsync care about user names?). Just wanted to let
you know...

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi