Accessing Repositories with 'Lenny'

I did my first install of Debian today after totally giving up on Ubuntu. I used the disk that came with 'Linux Journal', Sept 2008, Debian 5.0 'Lenny' Test. My problem was getting the Atheros AR5007EG on my Asus X50RL to work. With the latest MadWiFi drivers Ubuntu Hardy recognised the AP but would not accept the WEP Key. Loaded the same drivers in Lenny and it worked perfectly. It is so stable in everything. It closes down without a hitch whilst Hardy locks up with heaps of errors.

My only gripe is I can't access the repositories. browsing on the net I find pages that are empty. Is the repositories empty and if so should I try Debian 4.

As you can probably tell I am fairly new to Linux.

Thanks