Re: what's the group and username of apache2 web server?

Clifford W. Hansen escreveu:
> The user and group are www-data, and iirc the default permissions on /var/www
> do not reflect this, but it is safe to change them.
>
> For example I do the following:
> chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www
> chmod -R 660 /var/www
> find /var/www -type d -exec chmod 2770 {} \;

I personaly don't think this is a great idea, you're allowing the web
server to write the WWW files it serves. Makes an attack easier should a
vulnerability in the web server exists.

I'd rather give write access only the to files/directories that are
necessary, if any at all.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br