Re: How to activate PCMCIA ethernet card in ThinkPad?

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 17:15:32 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > Maybe there has been a regression or the card needs a driver that has
> > been removed during the last cleanup of binary firmware blobs in the
> > Debian kernel sources (which happened in version 2.6.24 or .25 IIRC).

[...]

> With the card in the Toshiba Tecra 8000 (P2 CPU; Etch, kernel
> 2.6.18-6-686) laptop, command "pccardctl -vvvv ls 1" shows two devices
> in that socket.  Device 0 is the LAN using driver "pcnet_cs".  Device 1
> is the 56k FAX/modem using driver "serial_cs".
>
> With the Card in the R61 ThinkPad, the same command, but for socket 0
> instead of 1, does not distinguish between the two devices on the same
> card. It merely says "no driver". (It does however indicate the bridge
> driver: "yenta_cardbus".)
>
> I then ran modprobe to install the serial_cs and pcnet_cs modules and
> confirmed their installation.  I then ran "pccardctl -vvvv ls 1" again,
> but with the same result: no differentiation of the two devices on the
> card and still "no driver".

[...]

> In view of the foregoing, where can I go from here, if anywhere?  If

The Debian bug tracking system, or maybe bugzilla.kernel.org if you can
reproduce the problem with the newest vanilla kernel.

> If
> those two modules are not the right ones, which ones are?

As far as I can tell, pcnet_cs should support your card because it has
your manufacturer IDs in its device table:

PCMCIA_PFC_DEVICE_MANF_CARD(0, 0x0143, 0xc0ab),

The problem is that we don't know if the failure is due to the new
kernel or the different cardbus hardware on the thinkpad (compared to
the toshiba).

> Surely there
> must be people still using laptops with Etch or Lenny which require
> external LAN cards.

They are not necessarily using your specific card; also, we already
found at least one other person who seemed to have the same problem with
the same card.

          Florian   |