Re: How to activate PCMCIA ethernet card in ThinkPad?

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 22:28:11 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> I have a Lenovo ThinkPad R61 which has a built-in ethernet card,
> designated eth0, which command "lspci" identifies as follows:
>
> Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
>
> While this card works, by comparison with my desktops it seems sluggish.

Check the syslog or dmesg output for messages from the tg3 driver. Make
sure the reason is not simply a bad port in a switch or a flaky cable,
i.e. unplug the desktop, connect the thinkpad to the very same cable and
compare the download/upload speed. Check the output of /sbin/ifconfig
for errors and dropped packages.

>  I would consequently like to try a D-Link PC ethernet card which I had
> been using with older laptops and which was much faster.

Did you use the D-Link card with Linux on the older laptops? If so, with
which driver and which version of the kernel? Which kernel do you use
now?

> However, I do
> not know how to activate it.
>
> The R61 knows it is there, as command "pccardctl ident 0" returns the
> following:
>
>   product info: "D-Link", "DMF-560TXD DirectPort PC Card", "", ""
>   manfid: 0x0143, 0xc0ab
>   function: 0 (multifunction)
>
> (This card, by the way is both a 10/100 Mb LAN [RJ-45] and a 56K
> FAX/modem V.90 [RJ-11].  My interest now is to activate the LAN part.)
>
> I would like this card to be eth1; so I added an eth1 entry in file
> /etc/network/interfaces.

The success or failure of creating the eth1 device is independent of the
entries in /etc/network/interfaces. It seems that in your case eth1 is
not created, probably because your kernel cannot find a driver for LAN
part of the card. Run

tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog

plug in the card, wait at least 30 seconds, post the output here.

          Florian   |