Re: Nvidia, apt-get & Synaptic

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 14:17:25 -0500, MLewis wrote:
Jochen Schulz wrote:

[...]
 > That is how things are these days, with the latest Xorg being able to
detect everything automatically, in theory at least. (Only a very
minimal xorg.conf is written by "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and it
does not specify the video driver at all.)

I would first make sure that your nvidia kernel module can be loaded:

modprobe -v nvidia

modprobe -v nvidia
[nothing returned]

lsmod | grep nvidia

lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia               7086148  24
agpgart                28776  1 nvidia
i2c_core               19828  2 nvidia,i2c_nforce2

If that is OK, (re)start X and run

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log

grep /drivers/ /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so

to find out which driver is used. If you see the Xorg nvidia module is
loaded, check "glxinfo | grep direct" and "glxgears" (package
mesa-utils) to see if direct rendering is working.

glxinfo & glxgears were not found.

If your Xorg keeps using the "nv" driver even though nvidia is
available, put

Driver    "nvidia"

> into the (otherwise pretty empty) "Device" section of your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and restart X.

Did this. Still 600x480 and no choices to change resolutions.

Thanks,
Mike

--

 IBM: Intriguingly Blue Motif
  15:40:01 up 19:33,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org