Re: Nvidia, apt-get & Synaptic

MLewis:

> I'm running Lenny Beta2.

There is no such Debian version. What you probably have is lenny (in its
current or an earlier state), installed by the Debian Installer beta2.

(Sorry for the nitpicking, it's just that Debian doesn't have any
releases which it calls beta. Only single packages or projects inside
Debian may do that, like debian-installer.)

> Two questions:
>
> Nvidia - I have an Nvidia Geforce 6600LE video card in my machine. I
> understand that it is better to run 'nvidia' or 'nv' drivers than to get
> the binaries from Nvidia (However no glx mode). I have looked for the nv
> & nvidia drivers on my machine and apparently do not have them:

You have to either install precompiled modules for your kernel or
compile them yourself. Both options are (usually) quite easy.

Option 1)

$ apt-cache search nvidia module `uname -r
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686
nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem
nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686 (legacy version)
nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26-1-686-bigmem (legacy version)

(just an example from my system)

Then proceed to install the package you need:

$ sudo aptitude install nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686

Option 2)

First, make sure you have either the linux-headers-* package for your
kernel (if you use a precompiled kernel from Debian) or the source tree
which you used to compile your own kernel. Then:

$ sudo aptitude install module-assistant
$ sudo m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source

> Synaptic vs apt-get: Is there a difference in these two packages other
> than one is a GUI and one is CLI? If so, is one method preferred over
> the other?

I am not sure about these differences, but the recommended package
manager is aptitude (CLI and ncurses interface).

J.
--
I use a Playstation to block out the existence of my partner.
[Agree]   [Disagree]