Re: Nvidia, apt-get & Synaptic

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue,28.Oct.08, 14:17:51, MLewis wrote:

Thanks for the link Jack. Very good instructions, but I'm missing
something. When I do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg I am not asked about
any video options at all. Something I must have missed along the way.

You're not missing anything. Xorg in Lenny now does a lot of automatic
configuration and will usually detect the correct driver, but in this particular case it doesn't. Just make sure you have the nvidia-glx package (or nvidia-glx-legacy, depending on your chip--see the package descriptions) installed and you will need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add a line

	Driver "nvidia"

I tried this. Same thing, only 640x480 resolution :-(

AFAIK, I have no nv.ko nor nvidia.ko files present on the system.

in the "Device" section. It might work without it (haven't tested
myself) if you don't have the xserver-xorg-video-nv package, though I
prefer to keep it installed, just in case nvidia is making trouble.

Such precautions are usually not necessary on stable (which lenny is very close to).
Regards,
Andrei

Thanks,
Mike
--

 Never write software that patronizes the user.
  15:20:01 up 19:13,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.07

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org