Recommended spare linux-image for Etch?

In case of emergency we always keep a spare linux-image on each
box in addition to the image depended upon by linux-image-2.6-686.
The spare linux-image can be booted from Grub if the primary
linux-image is damaged or fails to boot after an upgrade.

I haven't found a good way of automating this so we usually use
the linux-image from the previous release.  For example, on our
i686 Etch boxes we also have kernel-image-2.6.8-4-686_2.6.8-17sarge1.

With sarge transitioning to archive.debian.org, this seems like a
good time to ask if anyone has a better algorithm for (automatically)
selecting an appropriate spare linux-image for Etch and Lenny boxes.

TIA,

--Mike Bird