Re: Debian installer

elijah rutschman wrote:
On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Freddy Freeloader
<fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:
Just out of curiosity, will the ability to create RAID10 arrays ever be
integrated into the installer?
Oh, and while I'm at it, how about raid1 arrays with more than 2 drives?  I
did a Lenny install today and could not create a 1.2 terrabyte mirror with 4
640 gig drives.  I was limited to 2 640 gig arrays of two drives each at
best.  If I told the installer I wanted all 4 drives in a mirror it gave me
1 640 gig mirror and reported the array used all 4 drives.

Hello,
AFAIK, RAID1 doesn't do any striping, so no matter how many disks you
include in your array, you have a maximum usable device size equal to
the smallest disk in the array.  In your case, your maximum disk size
would be 640gigs.

It sounds like you want to do something like RAID5; you'd have some of
the benefits of striping and some of the benefits of mirroring.  I've
only ever setup a RAID1 array with Debian, and I don't remember what
options were presented during installation.  You might be able to
replicate RAID5 using LVM + RAID1 if RAID5 is not an explicit
installation option.  I have yet to experiment with LVM, so I don't
know what this would entail, but I'm sure other members of this list
could be more helpful in this area.

Regards,
Elijah

No, he wants to do a 10, or 1+0 RAID. Mirror two pairs of drives, then stripe across the pairs. This is a compromise when a RAID 5 isn't quite practical for some reason. RAID 5 can be slow on a software setup when the partition is large and it fills up significantly.

Mark Allums