USB Soundcard: Too Little Bandwidth?

I have Debian Etch running on a Soekris net5501 (info:
http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm).  It's a 433 Mhz system with a
CS5536 (seen as a 586 chip) and it has a USB 2.0 interface on it.  I'm
using a USB sound card by Startech.  Here's what I get from lsusb on
that:

Bus 001 Device 019: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter

When I run arecord, I get this:

[root@ozma:~]$ arecord -D hw:0,0 -d 10 -f S16 -r 44100 -c 1 file.wav
Recording WAVE 'file.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Mono
arecord: xrun:1093: read/write error, state = PREPARED

(There's a reason I'm doing this as root, don't feel like going into it,
so let's just say I do as little as I can as root and leave it at
that.)

I tried it like this also:

[root@ozma:~]$ arecord -D hw:0,0 -d 10 -f S16 -r 22050 -c 1 file.wav
Recording WAVE 'file.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz,
Mono
Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 22050Hz, got = 44100Hz)
         please, try the plug plugin

So I try (I think this is what it meant to try):

[root@ozma:~]$ arecord -D plughw:0 -d 10 -f S16 -r 22050 -c 1 file.wav
Recording WAVE 'file.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz,
Mono
arecord: xrun:1093: read/write error, state = PREPARED

I find this with dmesg:

cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28: not enough bandwidth

So it appears the whole issue is not enough bandwidth on the USB input
to handle recording sound off the USB sound card.  I'm using a Belkin
hub and, while I couldn't be sure of model numbers, I've found
references to people using USB sound cards with Belkin hubs.

I know this is not a high power mainboard, but it is using USB 2.0, so I
figure it should handle this.  I do have other devices hooked up to the
same hub (2 printers, one through a USB-Parallel converter) and a HD
radio that is controlled by a program on that computer.

Is this just a case where I won't be able to get the bandwidth through a
USB 2.0 connection or is there more to it than that?  Is there some way
I can make this work or would I need a regular sound card?  (There's
only 1 PCI slot on this board because it's an embedded system, so
resources are limited.)  While I realize this system may just not be
able to handle this, I'm hoping it will work out without me having to
use some other kind of card.

Thanks for any info on this.

Hal