automake/debian packaging

Hi all,

I have written some C code that I would like to package as a dynamic library using automake/autoconf and thence as a debian package. I am afraid I have had zero experience with these tools, and the documents I have found online are either too simple or too complex to get started. Sorry if this is a bit OT, but does anyone on this list have any tips on tutorials for creating a dynamic C library from a source tree with the following structure:

public_header_file.h (perhaps in directory called include)
directory_with_lots_of_c_and_private_h_files (nicer still would be multiple separate directories!)

thanks Peter