Re: how to save alsa configuration

Update below.

On Saturday 25 October 2008 23:06, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2008 21:53, Serena Cantor wrote:
> > I enter the command "alsactl store" and reboot, it doesn't work!
>
> Hi Serena. I have an SB16 ISA card on the machine I'm posting from (FC2),
> but it's only set up for one of the distros on the machine as a second
> soundcard on the Fedora Core 3 install. The other distros use an Ensoniq
> (ens1371) soundcard. I'll reboot into FC3, and see if there is anything
> in /etc/modprobe.conf that might help you. If there is you could add the
> lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, which may resolve your problem.
>
> I'm not sure how it may work with Etch, as I don't have it installed on
> this machine.
>
> I'll post back later.
>
> Nigel.

Hi Again. I rebooted into FC3, which has both the Ensoniq, and SB16 soundcards
configured. Both cards work fine after the reboot.

The output from cat /proc/asound/cards is below. The only problem that I had
when I added the SB16 card to this machine, and then ran alsaconf, is that it
insisted on being card0. The Ensoniq card had been card0, but after running
alsaconf for adding the SB16, the SB16 was set as card0, and the Ensoniq card
became card1. Not a big problem, and I did try to change it, but with no
success,

[djmons@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [S16            ]: SB16 - Sound Blaster 16
                     Sound Blaster 16 at 0x220, irq 5, dma 1&5
1 [AudioPCI       ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                     Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0x1080, irq 11
[djmons@localhost ~]$

Moving on to /etc/modprobe.conf , there are 2 lines that alsaconf has set for
the SB16 card, and its worth adding these to your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
file, as it may fix your problem. See below.

alias eth0 3c59x
remove snd-ens1371 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1
|| : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ens1371
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd

#alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
#alias snd-card-1 snd-sb16
#options snd-ens1371 index=0
#options snd-sb16 index=1
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.9rc1 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-sb16
options snd-sb16 isapnp=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

The 2 lines that you need to add to the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file are,
alias snd-card-0 snd-sb16
options snd-sb16 isapnp=0

As you can see from my /etc/modprobe.conf file above, these were created when
I ran Alsaconf for the SB16 soundcard.

As I said. I don't have Etch installed on the machine with the SB16 card, so
the suggestion above, may, or may not work.

Nigel.