Re: Wireless Dead

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 13:44:55 -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:56:48PM -0400, Mike Pobega wrote:
> > Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
> > my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
> > didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
> > to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
> > scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
> > router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
> > fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
> > properly connect it.
> >
> > I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.
>
> I figured it out, something is wrong with my WPA encryption. I'm also
> having trouble signing my emails with my GPG key...Any idea what
> packages I could be missing? The error I get is "bad key"

Problems with WPA encryption are normally due to either wpasupplicant
acting up or the driver not playing along nicely with it. In my
experience, the telltale symptom to look out for is if "/sbin/iwconfig"
shows your wireless device as "not associated" to any access point. Do
you see that?

The common dependencies of wpasupplicant and gnupg seem to be limited to
general-purpose system libraries (libc6, libgcc1, libncurses5,
libreadline5, readline-common, tzdata, zplib1g).

          Florian   |