Re: making ssh connections persistent

Kamaraju,

Eric De Mund <ead@ixian.com>:
> This email was composed on my ISP which I am ssh'ed in to from a
> screen session on my home system. Which, in turn, I've ssh'ed in to
> from work. If my work->home connection dies, I simply reconnect to
> home via ssh, then resume my screen session. When I resume the screen
> session, voila, my open emacs program up at my ISP, for example, is
> presented to me.
>
> screen(1) is old, but it's a killer app.

] Does screen work well with graphical applications? I know it is a very
] good app for text based applications such as vim. But what if I use
] gvim/texmacs for most of the editing?

screen is text-based, so no, it won't help with graphical applications.
For graphical (read: X Window System) apps, you /can/ use vnc or tight-
vnc in concert with ssh, however, in order to achieve the same kind of
persistence across a dead connection.

Eric
--
Eric De Mund   | Ixian Systems           | Jab: eadixian@jabber.org/main