Re: making ssh connections persistent

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Eric De Mund wrote:

This email was composed on my ISP which I am ssh'ed in to from a screen
session on my home system. Which, in turn, I've ssh'ed in to from work.
If my work->home connection dies, I simply reconnect to home via ssh,
then resume my screen session. When I resume the screen session, voila,
my open emacs program up at my ISP, for example, is presented to me.

screen(1) is old, but it's a killer app.

Does screen work well with graphical applications? I know it is a very good
app for text based applications such as vim. But what if I use gvim/texmacs
for most of the editing?

I uncovered xpra[1] recently... haven't had the chance to test it. Doesn't look like it's been packaged for Debian yet, but the README does have Debian compile instructions. If you're comfortable compiling your own software, give it a shot. I'm curious to see how well it works, at any rate.

Cheers,

Eric

[1] http://partiwm.org/wiki/xpra