Re: virtual box version mismatch

2008/10/22, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com>:
> Greetings;
>
> I have tried this on two different machines w/different kernels but
> both lenny and after I do the "modprobe vboxdrv" as demanded by vbox
> I get the message following and I have just installed latest vbox stuff.
>
> 	The version of the VirtualBox kernel modules and the version
> 	of VirtualBox application are not matching. You can correct
> 	this by either installing the correct virtualbox-ose-modules
> 	package (if available) through apt-get or by building it
> 	manually with: module-assistant auto-install virtualbox-ose.
> 	VBox status code: -1912 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH).
>

> 	Result Code:
> 	0x80004005
> 	Component:
> 	Console
> 	Interface:
> 	IConsole {d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf}
>
> I also tried the auto-install, which worked, but that doesn't solve the
> problem
> either.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong or how to get out of this?

Let me guess. You have installed the "virtualbox-ose"
package along with another that begins with the name
"virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6"? The latter contains  the
precompiled version of the Virtualbox kernel module,
which at the moment appears to be out of sync with the
"virtualbox-ose" package. There is, however, an uncompiled
"source" package for the Virtualbox kernel module called
"virtualbox-ose-source". This should be the same version as
the one for "virtualbox-ose".

You need to build the kernel module yourself. Broadly,
the commands you need to use are:

(1) apt-get install virtualbox-ose-source
(or its aptitude/synaptic equivalent)

(2) module-assistant auto-install virtualbox-ose

The two commands need to be done as root (since that is the
only way you can install programs and build and install
a kernel module). In my case, I used sudo, although you
can probably get away with using fakeroot for step (2).

Step (2) will produce your very own custom
"virtualbox-ose-modules-*.deb" package in /usr/src.

HTH