Re: making ssh connections persistent

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 10/22/08 14:23, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
I often use ssh to access other computers at school. However, I can't make
these connections persistent. If there is no activity (say in 20 minutes),
the ssh connection just freezes up. As a result, I have to kill all the
gvim, xterm windows opened from that terminal. This is very annoying if I
am coding something.

Is it possible to make ssh connections which do not freeze even if there is
no activity for a while?

That sounds like a security feature configured on the host side.

This is usually caused by a PAT router/firewall en route that times out and closes the connection when it doesn't see any packets for a while. The trick is to do like Tyler suggested or something similar, to cause ssh or tcp to send keepalive packets regularly over this tcp connection. Other more low level options are /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_{intvl,probes,time}.

Ketil Froyn
ketil@froyn.name
http://ketil.froyn.name/