Re: resolution change on startx -- :1

On Wed, Oct 22 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Why don't they make a debian version with OpenBSD's kernel?  It seems to
> support most hardware, with a BSD licence.  But then we can't run the
> nVidia drivers, and perhaps not watch flash movies.  Oh well.

        That would require someone who want to work with the openbsd
 kernel to put in the work, create the .debs for all the 11
 architectures, arrange for the debian installer to work, ensure that
 the kernels work for the 11 architectures, are ported to them etc.
 Also, they need to be prepared to work with the security team, the
 stable release manager, provide responses to end users having problems,
 track security fixes for the kernels, talk with upstream (subscribe to
 their mailing lists, bug trackers, etc).

        So far, no one with the ability and the inclination has really
 undertaken to do the activities above. This is a volunteer
 organization, you know. So, if you think that supporting an openBSD
 kernel in Debian is a great idea, and should be done, just do the tasks
 mentioned above. Or find someone willing and able to do so.

        Me, the BSD license is an immediate turn off, so I'm not likely
 to want to help. And since any contributions of mine are liable to be
 under GPLv3, most likely my contributions will not be appreciated in
 the first place.

        You?

        manoj
--
Be independent.  Insult a rich relative today.