resolution change on startx -- :1

I have one video card and one monitor, running Etch amd64 with an
Etch-i386 chroot for flash.  I log in from the VT and run startx to get
X going.  I run icewm.

I have my usual username for regular use and web browsing with
javascript and flash turned off (actually, in amd64 there is no flash).

I have a second username for browsing the web when a site needs
javascript or flash, this user using the iceweasel in the chroot.

That's just the background and the problem doesn't have anything to do
with iceweasel.

The problem:

Log is as one user (doesn't matter which), startx, get a normal X
display looking as it should.

Now log in as the other user and run
	/usr/bin/startx -- :1

and everything is a bit larger (fonts and icons are a bit bigger).

Actually, even with only one user, if I run
	/usr/bin/startx -- :1 (or 0)
then everything is larger than
	/usr/bin/startx

That is, with only one instance of the X server running, specifying a
display changes something about how things get rendered.

If I try:
	/usr/bin/startx -- -dpi 100 :1

then I just get the gray X screen and no window manager running.

Its only a minor annoyance and I'm assuming that the problem is
somewhere in debian's nested X magic.  Even if there isn't a solution,
I'd be interested in knowing the cause.

Any ideas?

Doug.