Re: usb device file [solved]

Christopher Howard wrote:
Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
However, there is no sde block file available in /dev. The closest things are sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd. I try mount using these device files, but the message I always get is 'mount: No medium found'.

Udev is what creates the device file, right? Why isn't it creating an sde or sde1 device file for me? I spent a lot of time googling about this, but all the tutorials I found on mounting assume that /dev/sde already exists.

I get basically the same results when I try a different usb stick.

Try this..

do an ls on /dev and output it to a file. Plug in your usb and wait a
few seconds. Do another ls and output it to a different file. Do a diff
and see what dev creates. If it creates /dev/sda then I guess that's
the one you should use.

$ ls /dev > /tmp/usb1.txt
$ ls /dev > /tmp/usb2.txt
$ diff /tmp/usb1.txt /tmp/usb2.txt

On mine, /dev/sda gets created.

Good luck.

Amit

Thank you for the help.

The diff command did not return output, confirming my suspicion that udev is not creating anything.

The syslog, dmesg, and the lights on the usb sticks all indicate that the system is recognizing the device when I plug it in. I wonder why udev is not creating a device file for me that works. I've looked at the udev config files but they are rather complex and I'm not sure how to configure them manually.

---

Christopher Howard
choward@indicium.us
http://www.indicium.us

I fiqured out what was wrong. Apparently, udevd wasn't running! Maybe I killed it somehow when I was doing all my testing (?) Anyway, I started udevd and the /dev/sde1 file pops up just as it should.

I did a reboot and udevd starts fine -- so maybe I accidentally killed it when I was configuring or installing programs.

--
Christopher Howard
choward@indicium.us