Re: usb device file

> However, there is no sde block file available in /dev.  The closest
> things are sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd.  I try mount using these device
> files, but the message I always get is 'mount: No medium found'.
>
> Udev is what creates the device file, right?  Why isn't it creating an
> sde or sde1 device file for me?  I spent a lot of time googling about
> this, but all the tutorials I found on mounting assume that /dev/sde
> already exists.
>
> I get basically the same results when I try a different usb stick.

Try this..

do an ls on /dev and output it to a file. Plug in your usb and wait a
few seconds. Do another ls and output it to a different file. Do a diff
and see what dev creates. If it creates /dev/sda then I guess that's
the one you should use.

$ ls /dev > /tmp/usb1.txt
$ ls /dev > /tmp/usb2.txt
$ diff /tmp/usb1.txt /tmp/usb2.txt