Re: Debian installation

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 02:01:30PM +0200, sage wrote:
> dear support team
>
> I wish to know, witch version should i download, if i have a Intel CPU:
> Core Duo 2 ( e4300 on pc, and t9300 on laptop).

The i386 version should work if you don't want to address more than 4
GB of RAM.

> Second question is how could i instal x serwer to have graphic interface
> in debian.

If you don't say the installer not to use the X11 packets, it should
install them automatically.  (In the case that you don't use the
Netinstall and have no connection to the WWW.)

>I have bought debian etch 4.1r (the shop told its right
> wersion for my cpu, however i had a problem with my graphic card) To
> cleryfy, i have GeForce 8600 GT and 9500 GT. I downloaded the drivers
> from nvidia site, however there were several problems with server x.

Debian should detect the graphic card on its own.  If you want to have
non-free drivers I've found these sites:

http://desiato.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.txt
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

But I don't know if it will work since I don't use these drivers.

> Now i wish to know, am i able to download the right version of debian
> from your site, or should i buy one form e-bay.

I don't think, that it will be necessary to buy a Debian version.
There would be much more benefit if you could download it and - if you
want to spend some money - donate something to the Debian Project.

Best wishes

Richard
--
Richard Möhn, Laußnitz in Sachsen