Re: [OT] Learning MIPS ISA using GCC and Debian

I would say that is one of the worst ways to learn MIPS. A good compiler will have numerous optimizations, and the resultant code may bear little resemblance to the original C. Even if you disable all optimizations, programming style will differ between that generated by the C compiler and what you write directly in MIPS.

Better to learn the instruction set, registers, etc. without trying shortcuts. You'll be much better off in the long run.

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
I am learning the MIPS ISA in class and I guess the best way to learn
this is using real world examples. Thus, I was hoping I could write a
program in C and compile it into MIPS assembly and learn the MIPS ISA
that way.

I am not too familiar with gcc but I have used it and I also know that
objdump tool can be used to disassemble C programs. However, I am not
sure how to cross-compile into MIPS.

I apologize if this question is too obvious.

Running Debian Testing.

Thanks for any help.

Amit