[OT] Learning MIPS ISA using GCC and Debian

I am learning the MIPS ISA in class and I guess the best way to learn
this is using real world examples. Thus, I was hoping I could write a
program in C and compile it into MIPS assembly and learn the MIPS ISA
that way.

I am not too familiar with gcc but I have used it and I also know that
objdump tool can be used to disassemble C programs. However, I am not
sure how to cross-compile into MIPS.

I apologize if this question is too obvious.

Running Debian Testing.

Thanks for any help.

Amit