Re: Where is the command to load ethernet network module placed?

2008/10/18 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
On Sat,18.Oct.08, 13:49:25, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
>
> I wonder where the ethernet network module is loaded.
> Is it loaded in the kernel source code statically or  in the  init script?
>
> I  think the network  module  is loaded after init user process is created,
> but I don't know where the loading point is.
>
> Please tell me where the command to load the network module is placed.

As far as I know modules are loaded automatically after probing the
hardware. Maybe telling us what you are trying to achieve would be
better.

I'm reading kernel source  code for the  first time.  First,  I'd like to  know  how  the PCI  driver  works.
I found the routines which scans PCI bus and and  adds  the  found  devices  data structure to  bus data structure.
But I got lost there.  Each device probe routine seems to be called after the related module is loaded. I cannot find the routines which call modprobe or insmod  for  desired  modules related to found devices and I wonder how the module for each device is selected. So, I'm finding where the network driver module is loaded, for example.
Any advice would be appreciated.

J.H.Kim