Re: Non-Debian Provided Packages

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:40:55PM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Is it advisable to install non-Debian provided packages?

Advisable    -- No
Will it work -- probably if you read their documentation for
                requirement.

> For example .deb files are out for openoffice3 but they haven't made
> their way to lenny yet.

We are freeze for lenny release so sid is not updated as frequently.

> It seems like the Sun provided .deb files  aren't quite so slick with
> handling dependencies.  That or I am missing  some important bit of
> understanding on how .debs work.

I did not test them.  (Some venders link software statically to avoid
dependency issues.)  Download link was pointing to tar.gz file.

Let's see what we have:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/o/openoffice.org.html
Available versions
Oldstable       1.1.3-9sarge8
Oldstable Security Updates      1.1.3-9sarge9
Stable  2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch5
Stable Security Updates         2.0.4.dfsg.2-7etch5
Testing         1:2.4.1-11
Unstable        1:2.4.1-11
Experimental    1:3.0.0-3

It looks like someone is uploading it to Experimental now.

Osamu