Re: Non-Debian Provided Packages

On Friday 17 October 2008 11:40:55 pm Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Is it advisable to install non-Debian provided packages?
>
> For example .deb files are out for openoffice3 but they haven't made
> their way to lenny yet.  It seems like the Sun provided .deb files
> aren't quite so slick with handling dependencies.  That or I am missing
> some important bit of understanding on how .debs work.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

I installed OpenOffice.org3 in Lenny with no problems. The Debian installer
sends files to /opt, and so avoids overwriting any existing packages.

The tarball is just a pack of .deb files for the individual applications in
the suite, which have a non-obvious dependency order. It would have been nice
to include an installation script, but lacking that, I simply went to the
untarred directory and ran

dpkg -i *deb

Works well for me, ymmv.

Lee

--
Lee Glidewell           | PGP key: D5D686A7
lee.glidewell@gmail.com |