Re: PXE server configuration

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 01:18:40PM +0200, Jesus arteche wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I got to install a PXE server in my net so that i can install ubuntu and
>> debian via netboot, i made it with tftp and dhcp, this is easy for these
>> two distros because they have already a netboot images for that. The
>> server is running under Debian 4.0 and i wondering if there are some way
>> to do the next:
>
> Just edit pxelinux.cfg/default and add relevant entries there.
> (or write a configuration fie specific for the IP address / mac address
> of the specific system you want to boot)
>
> Pathes are relavive to the tftp root. e.g. to /var/lib/tftpboot .
>

>> 1.- The same that i made for ubuntu and debian,...but with kubuntu..
>
> Basically the same.
>
>> 2.- and for windows xp
>> 3.- and for backup images of the pc's of the net made it with system
>> rescuo or norton ghost.
>
> Not sure about those. You need some sort of chainloader. Consult the
> syslinux homepage? (pxelinux is syslinux).

To your last 2 items from the list, I've used the bootscriptor code to
generate such a chain loader back in 2002. Unfortunately I put it on CD and
I'm not sure if it would work with pxeboot, but this is still an idea. I
think it would work
        http://www.cdshell.org/bootscriptor/
I then put there memtest, ghost, windows recovery etc. etc. I could share
the configuration file, but not the image as partition magick and ghost are
company property.

I've seen also a more recent multiboot project but don't know how good it
is, but it sounds promissing
        http://stephan.walter.name/files/mbcd/index.html

regards