Re: -- SPAM -- Re: Anti-Virus - seeking opinions

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/17/08 02:43, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 10/17/08 00:45, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:41:49 -0500

On 10/16/08 21:35, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Don Sutter wrote:
Hi All,

I certainly hope the following doesn't start a flame war! I would like
to use Linux to scan Windows drives for viruses. Since Linux is
generally slime free are any of the Linux anti-virus solutions robust enough to handle Windows? Perhaps I should consider using VM, Windows
and a Windows based anti-virus? Ideas?
Did you give clamav a try? It is in the repos.

But can it run stand-alone, to analyze all files in a tree, or plug
into Samba, so that all new or modified files get scanned?

Samba shares are just mounted file systems right? So I am sure that
clamav can simply be used to scan those files in the shares...
*If* it can run stand-alone.

                                                               I don't
think any special hook to plug in to samba.
I figured as much, but it makes it more expensive to scan for malware.

If you have mounted your windows shares to linux over samba, you just have
to tell clamav to scan the point where they are mounted.
We have a very good experience with it. In fact we extended clamav with
commercial kaspersky for linux and the resultss are more then satisfaying.

Do you scan it weekly or something?

I did not understand if you need it for private or company use.

hi ron,

i am using clamav on one machine and avg for linux on a second machine. both machines have two hd's. one with resp. debian_etch/lenny; the other with xp (for our adminstration: to get the bills paid), mounted under resp etch and lenny. (etch is my working horse)

I scan both xp-hd's twice a week for a longer time. never had any trouble at all with viruses on windows.

further, because i send thru messages on two (progressive farmers) mailing lists here in the Eu, i check my linux-meilboxes once or twice a week as well. once, three years ago (under potato or was it already woody?), i got a complaint about sending thru a troian. but even this event did not come from my machines, so became clear.

for me a perfect system: checking redmond-capitalism from a linux-machine.

regards,

steef