Re: -- SPAM -- Re: Anti-Virus - seeking opinions

On 10/16/08 21:35, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Don Sutter wrote:
Hi All,

I certainly hope the following doesn't start a flame war! I would like
to use Linux to scan Windows drives for viruses. Since Linux is
generally slime free are any of the Linux anti-virus solutions robust
enough to handle Windows? Perhaps I should consider using VM, Windows
and a Windows based anti-virus? Ideas?

Did you give clamav a try? It is in the repos.

But can it run stand-alone, to analyze all files in a tree, or plug into Samba, so that all new or modified files get scanned?

Avast has a version for linux. It is free as in beer for personal use.

You can manage without an anti virus by running Windows in a VM if you do not connect it directly to any untrusted network and if you do not connect any removable devices directly to the VM.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.