Re: Login depends on X?

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:51:41PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> (I use GNOME mainly because I do things like web surfing and such, which
> is better with the graphics.  I use a Win machine for the unavoidable,
> and for playing Blu-Ray discs.  If I didn't use Iceweasel a lot, I would
> just as soon avoid the hassles of X and nvidia drivers.)

I don't use GNOME but I do use X.  I use icewm but any simple wm will
work just fine.  I'm thinking of going to openbox but I'm not sure.

If __all__ you want is iceweasel, then you don't even need a window
manager (disclaimer: haven't tried it so don't know if Iceweasel would
barf on opening a second window or download dialog).

On Etch, the nvidia driver is no hassle, I just have the standard debian
meta-package installed and it just works.

Doug.