Re: Login depends on X?

John Hasler wrote:
Carl writes:
Does it make sense to anyone that removing x11* also removes login?

The login package does not depend on X.  It depends only on libc6,
libpam0g, libpam-runtime, and libpam-modules.  None of those depend on X.

Aptitude and Synaptic (and sometimes apt) behave quite strangely at times. I cannot remove lots of things. Doing so will cause GNOME to be removed, or X, or even gcc. Part of the problem is my fault. I have been guilty of installing a package without going through apt, once or twice. But, for some reason, GNOME depends on hundreds of packages. I don't think it is all my doing. I think something broke somewhere. (And I am too lazy to fix it. Sometime, something will have to be done about it. But until then, I can't downgrade from Sid back to Lenny on that machine. It's hopeless. So that machine will not be put into production.)

Is there a tool that lets one see (and possibly edit) the dependency graph? (apt database)? I am only middlin' experienced with Debian, and I am not sure how to go about repairing things, short of a fresh install. I realize that editing the dependencies of individual packages is a bit like editing the registry is on W*nd*ws, playing with fire! A GUI tool with a visualization of the graph would be excellent.

Mark Allums