shutdown failure

I'm running up to date etch on a dell I386 box with both ide and sata drives.

shutdown stopped working, in the sense that the shutdown command
produced the log entry

Oct 13 20:01:02 aptiva shutdown[26745]: shutting down for system
reboot

and wrote /fsckcheck

but did nothing else that I can see.  No messages to users, no
shutdown.

The shutdown command task terminated.

I can't find anything else in any of the logs that looks relevant.

I finally pulled the plug.  After reboot, shutdown works again.

When this happens again, what should I look for in an attempt to
figure out what's going on?

Any ideas?

The only unusual thing I'm running is squeezecenter, which also runs
its own mysql server.