Re: ext3 filesystem and file name restrictions

Tammo Schuelke on 15/10/08 11:15, wrote:
-----Original Message----- From: Adam Hardy [mailto:adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.co] Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:05 PM To: List Debian User Subject: ext3 filesystem and file name restrictions

Hi,

I created a samba share on one of my debian boxes with a ext3 file system and unfortunately I can't write files with certain file names from Mac OSX.

This disrupts the back-up process which takes about an hour every time to fail when I want to try it out again.

For instance, there is one file name like this:

2AE2EAEE-57AC-46D8-B619-C2167D4C6786:ABPerson.abcdp

which has a colon in it that I guess is the problem.

After finding out all I could about Mac file systems and names, my conclusion is that macs are pretty special, especially their file systems.

Is there a basis for the file name restrictions on ext3, i.e. can I say, well ext3 is based on a standard, so I'm going to restrict the file names on macs, otherwise they won't be backed up?

Have you tried creating a file with a colon in its name by hand? I just tested it, both ext3 and samba don't have a problem with it (only Windows
clients don't like it). With which error message does it fail?

Blast! I thought I was being clever and because I didn't want to confuse the issue, I actually changed that file name above. Originally the dialog box error message on the mac had a slash instead of a colon:

2AE2EAEE-57AC-46D8-B619-C2167D4C6786/ABPerson.abcdp

I thought, uh-huh, let's find it then - but when I searched for it, all I found was the name with the colon, so I figured that must be the problem file and that the error handling had somehow 'escaped' the colon into a slash.

So I can only assume that there was some sort of temporary file with the slash in it then, which disappeared.

Yet I do seem to have a file name with a colon in it, despite that link from XvsXP. Here's the output from find:

Last login: Wed Oct 15 10:03:23 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
sylvie-computer:~ sylvie$ find . -name *ABPerson*
./Library/Application Support/AddressBook/.skIndex.ABPerson.lockN
./Library/Application Support/AddressBook/ABPerson.skIndexInverted
./Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/PlugIns/iChat Module.qsplugin/Contents/Resources/ABPerson-Fez.h
./Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/MetaData/2AE2EAEE-57AC-46D8-B619-C2167D4C6786:ABPerson.abcdp
./Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/MetaData/4B1A764D-C182-4200-88DB-0686716AAB89:ABPerson.abcdp
sylvie-computer:~ sylvie$