Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:08 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
[snip]
> As a user, you run apt and get notified that important files
> may be changed.
[snip]

Sorry, but you've said this several times in this thread, and it's just
wrong. Apt/dpkg/whathaveyou do *not* notify the user whenever they are
going to change a configuration file - they notify the user only if they
are going to change a configuration file *that the user has modified*.
Replacing a configuration file that hasn't been modified by the user is
done *silently*.

Now, it's true that menu.lst is handled differently, but consider:
  - If you hadn't modified menu.lst, the update-grub should not have
    materially changed your system.
  - When you modified menu.lst, it had comments in it saying you should
    edit it in a particular way, and that certain lines would be
    modified by a Debian script.

If you somehow managed to get in this situation without ever seeing
those comments, I'd like to know how - that may be a legitimate bug with
some other part of your system. But as it stands, while the menu.lst
file is inconsistent with how other configuration files are handled, it
seems to me that the only way you can get in trouble is by ignoring
documentation that you are forced to read.

--
-Julian Blake Kongslie
<jblake@omgwallhack.org>