Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Tuesday 14 October 2008, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Hal Vaughan escreveu:
> > I don't mean this with any offense, but you're so wrapped up in the
> > details you're not seeing what's going on.  You're re-arranging the
> > deck chairs on the Titanic.
>
> I may be, after all this thread has been going on very long. So I
> kindly ask you to summarize what did you do before the upgrade that
> caused the automatic update of the file to make it invalid and the
> system unbootable.

It was two years ago.  I don't remember all the details, but basically I
did something like "aptitude update && aptitude upgrade", got a new
kernel image, and a clobbered menu.lst and it took me hours before I
got the server up and running.  The system worked fine until I
upgraded, then it wouldn't boot.  I had no idea why and finally tracked
it to a re-written menu.lst.

But, again, this misses the point: I don't file bug reports because, in
my experience, they either don't go anywhere, they are closed out as
quickly as possible with whatever excuse can be drummed up to justify
it, or, in some cases, the dev can even get insulting.

I did not bring up this bug as an example, someone else did.  However,
since it was brought up, my point was that I had a strong point:
Someone can use apt or aptitude and has every reason to expect prompts
before files are overwritten and in this case, there's no prompt or
warning.  That leads to menu.lst being clobbered without notice.

Now, as for a detail, if I had been warned, I would have been able to
make a backup of my menu.lst, then checked over before rebooting.

However it's not about me.  It's about a confusing and unproductive
behavior.  I filed a bug report doing what I thought I was supposed to
do and almost all of the content of the replies is about what is in
menu.lst and other points and almost nothing addressed the issue of the
file being clobbered.

My point from the start was that, in my experience, bug reports are not
productive or worth my effort.  This one is not a top example, but it
demonstrates the point and the fact that, when it came up, most of the
discussion has not been about the file being overwritten but about the
contents of the file.

That's why I feel many people don't get it and are missing the key
point.

Hal