Re: live cd with lvm

On 2008-10-14 17:55, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On 3 debian laptops with lvm, the root partition is too small. So I have

As far as I see, you can resize the lvm without unmounting

/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-html/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html---------

11.9. Extending a logical volume
 To extend a logical volume you simply tell the lvextend command how
much you want to increase the size. You can specify how much to grow the
volume, or how large you want it to grow to:

# lvextend -L12G /dev/myvg/homevol
lvextend -- extending logical volume "/dev/myvg/homevol" to 12 GB
lvextend -- doing automatic backup of volume group "myvg"
lvextend -- logical volume "/dev/myvg/homevol" successfully extended

   will extend /dev/myvg/homevol to 12 Gigabytes.
\------------------------------------------------------------

and from 'man resize2fs':
/------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
       [...]              If the filesystem is mounted,  it  can  be
       used  to  expand  the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming
       the kernel supports on-line resizing.  (As  of  this  writing,
       the  Linux  2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems
       mounted using ext3 only.).
\------------------------------------------------------------

These are copied from lenny. Take care if this information is valid for
etch.

On my lenny, I have recently used these two lines

# lvresize -L +50G /dev/johannes3/home
# resize2fs /dev/johannes3/home

to increase the size of my /home. It worked without unmounting or
reboot. (There was a filesystem check at the next boot, though. )

NB: You do have backups (just in case) don't you??

8-)

HTH,

Johannes