Re: Load web page with Flash movie --> System freeze?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 04:51:36PM -0700, David Witbrodt wrote:

>   I don't know if my experience will help, but when the 'flashplugin-nonfree'
> package was updated to the 1.7.* series, I started experiencing freezes for
> about 30 seconds at a time just using my ISP's webmail interface.  I ended
> up holding version 1.6.3 up until a couple of days ago, when I investigated
> more carefully and found that 1.7.* switched to using the Debian alternatives
> system -- to allow sysadmins to select the particular library which will
> provide support for Flash.  See bug report 497385:
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=128;bug=497385
>
>   Following the instructions there, I updated to flashplugin-nonfree 1.7.2
> using 'aptitude', tested that I still had the problem with freezing (I did),
> closed Iceweasel, ran the suggested command line incantation in the bug report,
>
>     update-alternatives --auto flash-mozilla.so
>
> then ran Iceweasel again.  The result was that 1.7.2 now works as good for me
> as 1.6.3 ever did.
>
>   I'm not sure this will solve your problem, but I'm hoping it helps you (or
> anyone else reading this).

This sounded really promising.  I was going to try it.

But now the stupid computer won't boot past "setting the system clock" in
Linux.  Still works fine in Windows.

Time to reinstall again, I suppose.  This is becoming stupid.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!