Re: Can't run aptitude

Jochen Schulz wrote the following on 10/12/2008 08:06 AM:
Dennis Wicks:
When I try to do nearly anything with aptitude I get

    dgwicks:~# aptitude update
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Err http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg
      Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect
      (111 Connection refused)

To me that looks like you have a http_proxy environment variable set.  I
think Synaptic and aptitude honour that. Or you have set the
corresponding option in apt.conf.

J.

Thanks for the pointer! That was the problem, although I have no idea
where the settings came from as I don't have to use proxies.

These are the settings:

    HTTP_PROXY='http://localhost:4001 '
    http_proxy='http://localhost:4001 '

Does that look familiar to anybody?

Many thanks, "J.", it works much better now!

Dennis