Re: how to put another distro's stanza in menu.lst

On 10/13/2008 09:38 AM, H.S. wrote:
Hello,

I just installed Fedora Core 9 alongside Debian. During the installation
I did not update grub and chose not to install grub since I wanted to
retain my Debian grub configuration. I have done this before. I just
change Debian's grub to put in the relevant stanzas for my FC kernel
(was FC8 till today).
[...]

I can't see why it doesn't work since you seem to have the bases covered. When faced with the need to install two Linuxes on the same box, I usually install only one copy of Grub to the MBR. All other Linux OS's are set to install to the superblocks of their partitions.

That allows me two advantages: I can use chain-loading for the secondary OS's, and each Linux OS has perfect boot stanzas in their respective /boot/grub/menu.lst files.

I recommend installing Grub under FC9, but install it to the superblock of /dev/sda13--NOT the MBR. You should then have a perfect boot stanza written to Fedora's menu.lst.

Good luck.