Re: chmod, or better solutions ?

John Hasler wrote:
> Shams Fantar writes:
>
>> My purpose beeing that local users can't access/read any file which isn't
>> in their own home directory.
>>

> Then they would not be able to run any programs.  What are you trying to
> achieve?  You can easily arrange for them not to be able to access each
> other's files.

Just to complement, even if you give access to /bin, /usr/bin and other
places where there are programs, these programs may need other files to
work, sometimes even system files. The innocent 'ls', for example, needs
access to /etc/passwd in order to map numerical user ids to their names
in long listings.

--
Stellar rays prove fibbing never pays.  Embezzlement is another matter.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb