Re: chmod, or better solutions ?

On 10/12/08 08:56, Shams Fantar wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to know if it's very fine and "clean" to chmod -R 700 / ; Or
are there any better solutions ? My purpose beeing that local users
can't access/read any file which isn't in their own home directory.

As others have said, this is pretty much guaranteed to break your system.

Here's something that will *mostly* work, and is restricted to simply adding the Read bit to All users.

# chmod -R a+r /home

The problem is that this command is also a bit broad, and you'll have to go back and fix everyone's ~/.gnupg plus maybe some others that I can't think of at the moment.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.