Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

On Saturday 11 October 2008, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 19:47:40 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > Still, I do have to take bug reports and I have to smile sweetly as
> > I do because those reports come from clients who are paying me
> > enough per month that I have to keep them a bit more than happy.
> > If someone can't handle bug reports, then they shouldn't be dealing
> > with those who file them.
>
>   While this is a nice anecdote I can't help feeling that the more
>  you bring random stories into this thread the less likely people
>  are to pay attention, and listen.
>
>   Your original issue was:
>
>     "Reported bug.  Didn't get a useful response".

"Reported a number of bugs over time.  Found the rule was not getting
useful responses, more often negative, or in some cases, hostile

The reason for including the anecdote was to make the point that I have
to receive bug reports and know what it's like on the other end, so I'm
not making statements out of ignorance.

>   That is unfortunate, and I'd like to believe atypical.

I would too, but my experience tells me otherwise.

>   Regardless the point has been made, and people from both sides have
>  basically agreed that this is unfortunate, and that we as developers
>  should do better at handling bugs.  Also that users should be
> expected to be patient, and polite.  Ideally giving followup etc.

I feel that when I first made the point, the response was
generally, "That's not so."  I posted to support what I said and since
then a few have seen that there is a valid point.

>   Attempting to sidetrack us with irrelevancies such as your own
>  personal business, how bug-free your code is, and similar is
>  not useful.

It's not at all irrelevant when the topic is filing bug reports and how
developers respond.  Saying, "I've been on the other side and realize
that there is no excuse for poor behavior" and being able to back up
such a statement that says I've seen both sides of the issue is quite
germane to the topic.

Overall, though, I think I've made my point: When one has had more
negative experiences than positive ones, there is no longer any
motivation to file bug reports and, in the long run, many FOSS projects
lose on that one.

Hal