Re: How to check USB harddrive?

Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
Hi,

I have a WD external USB harddrive which I use for backups. How can I check the drive? Is it possible to use S.M.A.R.T (is it supported on USB drives)? As it is my backup drive I'd prefer to know if something's going wrong.

The drive is encrypted with luks, automounted by hal. I use Debian sid, Gnome.

That's a good question. If the drive is ATA I can check it with smartctl:

smartctl -d sat /dev/sd<x> --all -T permissive

*if* you use the Debian kernel. If you role ur own kernel, it may not work, as in my case.

That leaves us with 2 questions:

1. How does one check an external USB harddrive with a SATA disk?
2. How do you find out what kernel config to use to be able to use smartctl with external USB ATA/SATA drives? If you want/have to role ur own kernel.

Anyone?

Hugo