compiling the 2.26.6 kernel on debian.

Guys and Gals -
I tried to compile the kernel on 2.26.6.  I did NO modification to the kernel just generic.

I get the following error:

Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods

then it is followed by a lot of :

Waiting 16 seconds for /sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev to show up. /bin/cat: /sys/block/ sdb/sdb1/dev: No such file or directory. Device /sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev

BTW - I followed the tutorial on  http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

Any ideas on what the issue maybe ??? I am running sata drives  and have a couple of usb ports on the box.
but do not understand the error - why a normal compile would cause the error.

thanks
mjh