Re: updatedb for very large filesystems

On 10/10/08 07:28, James Youngman wrote:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
On 10/09/08 23:05, James Youngman wrote:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:29 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
I *think* that James Youngman was being sarcastic.  If I'm wrong, then so
much the better.
I was not being sarcastic.
Excellent, I've reached my quota for being wrong this year!

Anyway... in these days of logical block addressing and bad-block remapping,

That's not the half of it.

how do you actually optimize disk head movement?

Essentially by modifying fts() to pay attention to struct dirent.d_ino
and hoping that the inode number either has some relation to the disk
location, or that the difference between the average and worst case of
stat ordering is small.   For details, see the archives of recent
discussions on the bug-gnulib@gnu.org mailing list.

This thread?

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-gnulib@gnu.org/msg11327.html

--