Re: OT Upgrade from Etch to Sid (fwd)

* Erik Heil <eheil@sdf.lonestar.org> 09.10.2008

> Hi their.  Sorry for the off-topic message, but I figured that some of you
> may have expeirneced this problem.  Have a box here.  Did a pure upgrade
> from Etch to Sid.  Prior to this, did a Standard Install, which installed
> Openoffice, Iceweasel, and a lot of other applications.  I did not do any
> X Server configuration prior to the upgrade.  However, when I did do an
> upgrade, the standard Debconf questions were asked, with one important
> ommision.  the questions did not include and references to you're monitor
> type, resolution, etc.  Note that the last time I did an install was on
> Sarje, so things may have changed.  So what is needed to configure the
> local display for Xorg use?  This particular machine has a Nvidia Geforce2
> w/64MB of ram, so it's most probably included within the legacy drivers
> section.  I'm using the stock 2.6.18-speakup kernel from the
> speakup_netinst CD.  Asides from the kernel, this is an up-to-date Sid
> machine.

Hello Erik,

with the xserver shipped with Sid you do not need a xorg.conf anymore,
expect you have special requests. When the "nv" driver is ok for you and
you don't need the properitary "nvidia" driver, start X and all is fine.
If it is not working, because of for example the resolution is not the
one you prefer, you must write the xorg.conf by yourself. There are much
suggestions on the net, or you can take the one from your Etch box.

Hth Michael

--
A right is not what someone gives you;
it's what no one can take from you.