Re: sources.list to work with debians on a Fedora machine !

* NewDeb <ace_shikha@hotmail.com> 07.10.2008

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !
>
> I have installed dpkg and apt on my Fedora machine. What should my
> sources.list look so that I can use apt-get and dpkg ?
>
> I cant use statements like below because the "deb" is not understood on my
> machine. I had replaced it with rpms but then apt-get installs rpms and I
> want debians !
>
> "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib"
>
> Is there a way around this at all ? What should the sources.list look like ?

Hello NewDeb, (cool name ;-)

I don't know the contingencies *apt* and *dpkg* offers on a rpm-based
distro, but I think it's impossible what you want, because Fedora uses
*rpm* for his package management and you can't install *deb* packages.
The only way around this is to convert the *debs* to *rpm* with "alien",
but I don't believe this is a good choice.

This way you can accordingly install the packages with *dpkg*, not with
*apt*. One other workaround is to convert the packages and afterwards
put them in your own apt repository. Then you can install them with
*apt*.

Why not just install debian when you want the packages from debian?

Just my 2 cents
Michael

--
In 1968 it took the computing power of 2 C-64's to fly a rocket
to the moon. Now, in 1998 it takes the Power of a Pentium II